Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Land of Lisp

OK, I read both articles.

They are good.

Therefore, I guess it is obvious that the sensible thing to do is to rewrite thinBasic in Lisp, and release it as version 2.0.

According to the second article, we should not expect Eros to see the great advantages of doing this. So, we (being more enlightened), must gradually make him aware of the fantastic new possibilities, and the huge increase in potential, that this change will permit.

P.S.
    Maybe I posted this before, I don't remember.
    But, here is the free online version of, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel.

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Last edited by danbaron; 18-01-2011 at 09:38.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

This article reminds me of:

"Those who know do not speak and those who speak do not know"

The Truth About Lisp
    http://secretgeek.net/lisp_truth.asp

It is a very elegant way to go. It is just so foreign, if you come from any other language. That is why perhaps it should be the first language for anyone coming in with a clear mind.

One of the links at the end of this article was for NewLisp. What immediately impressed me about the NewLisp web site was the well presented web pages and the 2011 date!

http://www.newlisp.org/index.cgi?page=Home

Slide Show (overview of the language)

http://www.nuevatec.com/manual-intro.html

I am sure we can learn something here for Basic.

Charles

That's really a good article - this one.

http://secretgeek.net/lisp_truth.asp

After it, it seems there's not much left to say.

It does make the point, that for some, maybe Lisp is a religion - a cult?

I can't argue with the notion that Paul Graham was written in Lisp.

And, of course, what language could be written in itself, except for Lisp?! It's a mystery that reminds me of the Christian concept of the Trinity - three individual persons of one substance, who together, comprise, God.

I find a similar analogy with the fundamental particles of physics. Atoms are made of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Electrons, protons, and neutrons, are made of quarks. Either the chain continues forever, or, there is some fundamental and indivisible particle. In that case, my first question would be, "What is it made of?". And, I guess the only answer could be, "It is made of itself.". A person might then ask, "How can something be made of itself?". Likewise, a non-member of the Lisp Illuminati might ask, "How can Lisp be written in Lisp?".

Or, a person might wonder, "How can someone lift himself into the air, by pulling on his own boot straps?". It seems impossible, but we know it can be done. Likewise, 33rd degree Lispers, know how Lisp was first written in Lisp!

Maybe, Eros should start again from the beginning, and this time, write thinBasic, in thinBasic!

Ooga booga!
    Ooga booga!
    Shazzamm!!

(I forgot. Charles' quote (above) reminds me of two quotes I sort of remember, and maybe can paraphrase -

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand it." - Neils Bohr

"I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx)
    Last edited by danbaron; 19-01-2011 at 08:08.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

I've had NewLisp installed on my computer for a while.

I haven't used it.

The problem I have with it is, I can find no documentation about how to start the IDE, and I have been unable to figure out how to do it by myself.

If installation was okay it puts an icon on your desktop. It needs Java though - for the IDE I presume. Do you have Java installed Dan?

If not then it should be possible to create our own Lisp with a few lines of thinBasic

Charles
    Last edited by Charles Pegge; 19-01-2011 at 13:24.

If not then it should be possible to create our own Lisp with a few lines of thinBasic
    These were my thoughts when I attended to LISP classes at school. The language seems designed to be easily implementable (still not sure if as easily usable for the coder as well )

I liked some stunts in LISP, but I must admit I would not like to use it for bigger project. On the other side, I have seen LISP used as scripting tool in some game engines.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Easy to implement as an interpreter Petr but considerably harder to compile. Dynamic scoping necessarily requires a utility to resolve which variables are available to a function at any time.

I think Basic could well benefit from some kind of Lispish paradigm for handling high level data.

Is Lisp safe to use I wonder? Did your LISP instructors show any signs of brain damage

Charles

I have the Java 1.6 SDK, Charles.

I have the dragonfly icon on my desktop, but it doesn't work properly. Double clicking on it opens the jar file in PowerArchiver 2001.

And, when I open a command window inside the NewLisp folder, and issue the command,

java -jar guiserver.jar

a console window opens which says,

newLISP-GS v.1.36 on Windows Vista
    double buffering supported.
    listening on 64001

And, underneath is a blinking cursor.

Nothing more.

I don't know.

I have a commercial editor, "EditRocket", which is written in Java.

I just tried it, and it works fine.

I don't know what is wrong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast