View Poll Results: Do you prefer to move and forget current SMF?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Do what you think is best

4 33.33%
  • Other ('lease state)

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New forum: move or wait?

Re: New forum: move or wait?

If the home page were to be simplified, it would make a big difference to the load time. But I don't know whether this impinges on the database problems. It would seem that some kind of buffer limit in SMF has been exceeded.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Pegge

If the home page were to be simplified, it would make a big difference to the load time. But I don't know whether this impinges on the database problems. It would seem that some kind of buffer limit in SMF has been exceeded.

Charles
    A few things to consider.

I believe I read Eros was still running this forum on PHP4. That version of php has been discontinued for sometime. I'm surprised the current version of SMF even runs on it.

If you view the source of the forum home page, you will see Google scripts peppered throughout the html. (10 before I stopped counting)

This link http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/KonaLibInline.js sucks the life out of this forum and causes huge delays.

All this crap and an outdated scripting engine comes at a price. (loss of efficient usability)
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

John,

it is always interesting to see your view on the things, but you should keep in mind moving the forum:
    - is now quite essential due to problems with damaged downloads and others which started to appear
    - is just first step in bringing new experience and knowledge sharing abilities for thinBasic, which will be completed by integral block of new main site + forum

... I think in the end the user seriously using ThinBASIC will be very happy. Every big change has to start with smaller steps. New forum is one of them.

Regarding load times - I cannot judge, as I am on 8MBit connection, which I consider fast, yet the lowest speed available in my country (I grew up on 14.4 modem ).
    There are many categories and posts in the forum, so it has to reflect in the loading speed somehow. What is your connection, if I may ask?

Time restriction for posts listing is something which can be tuned anytime, so I would not be worried about it.

ThinBASIC 2.0 is important of course, but so is the documenting. The ThinBASIC development goes forward so fast, that some users did not see even 10% of the functionality and possibilities current releases offer (it is all in help file, but still...). That is why, in my eyes, the update of forum and especially later the website, will lead to better understaning of what users have already at the fingerprints. That is why I increased the rate of TBGL articles this year, that is why I currently work hard on thinTutorial. Developed functionality is the base, help file is the base, but further knowledge sharing via articles and other ways to come have very high priority in my eyes.

I use current releases of ThinBASIC in work without running into any limitations so far. I am very much looking forward to ThinBASIC 2.0, I already prepare some tech for it, but better to go in steps, as I said earlier. And don't forget to document, share, teach and learn.

The forum structure can be rearranged according to needs on the fly, so I think even the load times (if that is a problem) could get better. But we must not forget there is currently kind of critical situation with the attachements, which I consider quite important, as the bigger solutions posted here are present in that form especially. ThinBASIC forums make changes from time to time. I still remember the first move, I was feeling "homesick" in the new one a bit for a while, but the added functionality and preserved content showed in time it was good idea.

If we would lost all the knowledge from current forum with the port, I would be in the first row to shout "No please!". But this is not the case, it will solve the most painful issue we have now and if not anything else, Eros is always knowing very well what is he doing.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I may only be the occasional user, but I look forward to the new changes, including the forums. Plus, the website has long been overdo for a good change of many things.

Mark

Ok, we have moved.

I hope most of the options are ok but I already know that there will be a lot of work for tailoring and fixing this new forum. I will do that in next week day by day.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

thinBasic MVPs

User Name

Is it possible to rename my user name?
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

For sure admin can change a username but it should be possible to allow this change be done by users but I'm not able to find how.

If you want, I can change your usr name to .... (state what user name you want)
    In the meantime I will search how to activate this feature
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

thinBasic MVPs
    Firstly congrats on the new forum Its going to take some time to get to grips with it but it did seem to be necessary.

When you have time can you rename me as Michael Clease, I am starting to think that making people use real names to register keeps better control of undesirables.

Thanks again
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Thanks Michael.

This new forum has a huge set of options and possibilities. We will discover them all together in next weeks/months. I think we will have great advantages.

I just changed your user name and posted an inquiry in vBulletin support forum asking how to activate (if possible) the possibility to change username.

Ciao
    Eros

Seems there is a mod for user name change: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236980
    but I would like first understand how vBulletin mods are safe to install and also setup a mirror forum + db in another domain in order to make changes in a safe environment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.