Thread: Who is using the sprite functions of TBGL and how?

Who is using the sprite functions of TBGL and how?

Hi folks,

Petr has voiced some concerns about my involvement in other programming languages and that I would maybe use his TBGL code for them. I can understand that he is worried as he put a huge effort in building the TBGL module. To ease his concerns and remove what is causing them, I would like to cut the sprite functionality out of the TBGL module and place them into their own module. This would mean that the functions could get a new command prefix.

If I can cut out the sprite functions, it would also allow me to move the code over to a different language like FreeBasic for an example.

Anyway, are you using the sprite function set and would it be a big problem if you have to rename the commands? Also I would like to know, if you are using them mixed with 3D or just 2D?

Cheers
    Michael

Re: Who is using the sprite functions of TBGL and how?

I think placing the sprite commands in their own module would be a good idea & I'm sure there are going to be a few people out there who want to use 2D sprites with 3D graphics so I recommend keeping that functionality.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

I usually am in a minority in this sort of manner, but I never had a problem with making big changes. I think worrying about backward compatibility is a mistake and leads to unnecessary bloat and slow progress. As you can tell, my vote would be no worries go ahead and make the changes.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

If you can provide one or two examples showing the two demerged modules working together, I don't think it will be an adverse change. Decoupling happens frequently during the course of program development.

Charles