Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TBGL - Support not available from Petr [16.9/2010 - 18.9/2010]

Re: TBGL - Support not available from Petr [16.9/2010 - 18.9/2010]

I read your paper Petr, well done. I can't say I understood all of it, but I did see why opencl was chosen and the gpu rocks!
    Nvidia announced they will come out with a new tegra chip every year for the coming years, so that is great news.
    New GPU's will come out every two years.

Locally here, the ion based systems never really appeared, which is frustrating. No ion2's or tegra 2's yet either.
    It seems your markets are better than ours here in that you can find such nice hardware.

http://liliputing.com/2010/09/nvidia...n-the-way.html
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi Petr,

I enjoyed reading your paper very much, though I won't pretend that I understood all the details. I found the diagrams very clear and conceptually helpful.

Your robot seems to rely quite heavily on central processing which of course is hardly avoidable for vision but I wondered if you use other microprocessors for handling for example motor control or proximity sensors. This was a necessity in the old days with much lower processing power available. I am curious to know whether the trend is to centralise all of the robot's nervous system into one PC.

Charles

Hi Charles,

in the current machine we work on (but is sadly not possible to discuss in public before it goes out this Autumn) there is not just single computer, but it is more complex - very close to what you proposed.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

These are very popular here in the states. I have not personally used or seen one, but I do watch a lot of videos about them and how they are used.

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Re: robot question / TBGL - Support not available from Petr

hi petr,

I have a simple question about robotics according to not knowing enough about these topic. Where is the beginning from "hardware" site to start with programming a robotic engineer ? I think it's just not a start with a damned interesting helicopter (with remote control for about 100 Euro) I have seen today at the game play magazine here in my home town I saw this little helicopter for outdoor flying and thought that this little flying object isn't possible to manipulate or re-programming. I am right or not? But where is a starting point for programming in general?
    If I can land with helicopter on a mountain and letting flow out some nice little puppets or drones or animals from a hangar ramp and this helicopter can shoot, that's then a robotic vehicle? It's just a simple question, but it would be good to hear from you or other user where to start with term "robotic" ?

bye, servus, thanks, frank
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Hi Frank,

interesting question!

You can start in many ways:
    1/ building your own robot completely
    You do the software and hardware yourself. I think lot of people start in stage where the brain of the robot is laptop or netbook OR 8 bit processor like ATMega.
    The starting hardware could be for example radio control car, where you replace the radio control with custom one.

The laptop way is not the most lucky one, but is good for start.

2/ using already existing starter kit
    There are lot of currently, the most popular here are:
    Lego Mindstorms - relatively cheap, you can combine the hardware as you want, programming environment bundled
    Bioloid - the same as for lego, the parts are slightly more solid, but price is higher

There are also some starter kits for flying robots, but writing the software to make it not crash... it might me quite complicated. Imagine by mistake in program during the first test the robot goes 10m high and then falls to floor... it is safer to play with robots on the ground.

and then...?
    When you go pro, you need to stop using toy parts and use only reliable industry hardware and solutions, or you'll get into problems very fast.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123