Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StandAlone Oxygen

StandAlone Oxygen

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who would like to try a stand-alone version of Oxygen, I have set up a site at SourceForge

http://oxygenbasic.sourceforge.net/

This version of Oxygen comes with a generic Scintilla-based IDE, a linked-in manual and a subset of the thinBasic examples (those without thinBasic dependencies). The two versions will be kept in sync as closely as possible.

When I did a preliminary posting last Sunday, it was only one among a multitude of over 200 new projects for the day! There are around 100,000 projects held at SourceForge though quite a few of these appear to be moribund, including "Oxygen" and "Oxide". But Oxygene and DOxygen are very much alive.

Charles

Re: StandAlone Oxygen

Hi Charles,

thanks for letting us know. I will check it out very soon.
    And thanks for adding Scintilla IDE to the pack!

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

My will is very weak, I had ton of work to do, but simply had to check it out immediately

I like it, maybe I would organize all the samples to Samples directory, all binaries to Bin directory and so on, but that is just ultramarginary detail.
    Other minor thing - the ' comments are not colored properly.

But the comfort is there, Scintilla is much better than notepad
    You did good job on the documentation, maybe if it could be context sensitive it would be even better.

But overall - fantastic job, major leap forward indeed

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks Petr, Good luck with the work load. A ton is a lot to carry

Yes I can bunch all the examples together in one folder.

To get full syntax highlighting you need to select Language/Oxygen from the menu bar. But the lexer does not understand Basic comments and considers them to be unclosed quotes. I may be able to get them colored but had to suppress the default behaviour. If anyone is familiar with configuring Scintilla, your advice will be most welcome.

You can get any script to run instantly with F5 or use F7 to compile.

To get context sensitive help put the caret on a keyword and press F1. The help manual will appear with a list of keywords on the right. The indicated keyword should be at the top of this list.

I'm also thinking about making #basic the default mode instead of #asm. I've been caught out several times myself. It will be one less instruction to worry about when scripting.

Charles

thanks Charles for this great project.
    scintella ide, multi tabs, Go, build, compile,... a very good additions
    for the future: my suggestion:
    more examples for the new users
    some simple examples GUI such as TextBox, button... ,
    and a canvas with instructions like plot, circle, ellipse, pset,point, line, with a refresh canvas capability.... and not only the Api direct call because it is extremely complex.
    some tutorials.
    any way this is a great project. it is not heavy on the cpu, i have launched the portviewer looking always at my cpu temperature monitoring utility, it was 44 degree and stay arround it,
    i hope the basic languages forums to declare an announcement about this new born compiler.
    also you may think of a dedicated forum for the standalone version.

best wishes

Hi Charles,

thanks for the tips. Maybe the context sensitivity could be pushed one step forward, by opening the topic directly.

One of the things I like is the fast compile, even for larger programs.

Making the #basic default could help, maybe providing simple template with this predefined could solve the problem as well.

One thing - in DataProcessing there are some Ink files which I thInk should not be there.

Petr

Charles,

great!
    Good luck for Oxygen, you and your project deserve a bright future.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Charles,

good luck for your project. I hope it will recognized in a good way and a lot.

Best wishes
    Michael

Thanks for your suggestions Zak.

I am going to develop the Graphics side using Opengl and possibly OpenAL for audio - considering cross-platform development. I won't need to touch the core language for these. It may be sufficient to provide source code libraries for users to add to their projects.

The manual would be a good place for tutorials and small script examples. I have made a start on this by getting the manual builder to incorporate a number of the short demo scripts.

Charles

@Eros
    @Mike

Thanks, I hope this project will be another seed in the diaspora of Basic. Working on this forum has been a very good experience and long may our shared path of development continue.

@Petr

I put all my development tools in the examples. The manual generator sprouted from data processing and should have its own folder now. The source code for the compiler is to be found in ToolSrc. You can create your own customised compiler from these.

For scripts up to 50k, the compiler is fast enough to JIT compile. All you have to do is associate o2bas files with eo2.exe (in the main oxygen folder) and then run scripts anywhere on your PC.

Charles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast