Thread: Robots, War, and the future

Robots, War, and the future

Judging from some of the discussion here these articles, though I find them a little disturbing, may be of interest in this forum:

http://www.brookings.edu/articles/20...re_singer.aspx

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/20...rs_singer.aspx

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ary-revolution

It seems that America has deployed some 12 000 robots in Afghanistan and Iraq....

Lance

Re: Robots, War, and the future

[font=courier new][size=8pt]Interestingly, even in the 21st century, it seems that humanity has not taken even the tiniest step on the road to ending war. It seems to me that in almost
    every country and corporation, the people at the top are driven by power and greed, and are amoral. Most of the average people beneath, are not that way, but
    they have little or no effect on what their organizations do. For instance, those at the top of the pyramid in the United States, think, "We've got to develop
    robotic weapons, or China will do it and destroy us.". And, those at the top of the pyramid in China, think, "We've got to develop robotic weapons, or the
    United States will do it and destroy us.". Interestingly again, I think both groups are correct, because, the two groups are composed of people with identical
    personalities, driven by power and greed, and amoral.

Additionally, now it is apparent to me that for many capitalists, war has become a very profitable business. For them, any war is good, as long as it does not
    occur where they live. And, for them, winning a war doesn't really matter, the profit comes from extending it as long as possible. Here in the United States,
    the Pentagon wants wars because wars make the military important, and relevant. Without wars, the military would shrink, and that's the last thing it wants.
    Also, I think many who join the military are motivated by the drive for power, and the need to dominate. The result is that the United States has approximately
    700 foreign military bases. Money controls everything here. Those with money have all of the power and influence. Those without money are helpless spectators.
    And, no matter what the mythology is, those with the money (the capitalists) lie cheat and steal, they effectively are able to ignore the law. The entire system
    is corrupt. Even as America is going bankrupt, and the vast majority of the people are at, or on the verge of, poverty, the war profiteers pay off the
    politicians to continue to fund useless wars, and the wars are paid for by increasing America's already huge debt. Simultaneously, these same politicians, do
    all they can to slash every social service, claiming that otherwise, financial Armageddon will destroy the country. At the same time, the corporations here, do
    everything they can to export every job to the poorest country they can find. The result of all of this, is that the people as a whole, are on the road to
    starvation (remember, that in the United States, there is no limit to how far a person can fall - if you have no money, then, eventually you don't eat). Here,
    day by day it is becoming more obvious, that there are essentially two classes, the tiny class of the super-wealthy and powerful, and, the huge class of the
    super-poor and powerless. If most people don't realize it yet, they will before long. And, in my opinion, the only way stability can be maintained in such a
    society, is by force - the elites must use the military and police to protect themselves from everyone else. That is why, in a dying empire, the most secure
    jobs are in the military or police.

It seems that the technological advance of weapons will continue to accelerate. And, along with it will advance the potential for destruction. Simultaneously,
    the world faces almost undeniable global warming. The industrial revolution began because of coal and then oil. Every bit of the coal or oil that is burned
    becomes gas and enters the atmosphere, most of it as carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide prevents heat from the Sun from escaping back into Space. As the carbon
    dioxide increases in the atmosphere, the atmosphere heats up. An extreme case of this is Venus, where on the surface, lead is a liquid. I think that 2010, is
    the hottest year worldwide on record. I looked in Wikipedia, and it said that global warming has been measured since the middle of the 20th century. So far,
    approximately zero has been done about it. Now, it is becoming impossible to ignore or deny. I think that humans do not have the ability to act as a group in
    order to save their own species. You cannot separate carbon dioxide into carbon and oxygen, without using energy. If you use oil to do it, then, you will put
    more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere then you remove. The world population has exploded due to the industrial revolution, now it is approximately 7 billion.

Some scientists think that the reason we have not found evidence of extra-terrestrial advanced life is because most species destroy themselves. We certainly
    seem to be on that road. War is going strong, weapons are becoming entirely computerized and robotized, the burning of oil is making the atmosphere too hot for
    life. The burning of oil has resulted in a huge population which is totally dependent upon it continuing to burn, the oil itself is beginning to run out, and
    there is no ready substitute. I absolutely fear that there will be a tremendous world population crash, and I can imagine it being awful - science fiction type
    wars for food, water, land where it is not too hot to breathe, and energy.

Historians thought the 20th century produced massive human misery. Imagine what historians will say about the 21st century, if there are any historians then.

And, incidentally, the capitalists who controlled the oil, used their power to force society to become dependent upon it, the average person had no say. Now,
    when the oil is heating the planet and also running out, those who caused the problem will be insulated from its effects, the innocent will pay the price.

Most people pretend that these problems don't exist until they are personally affected. They whistle a happy tune, distract themselves, and hope that everything
    turns out OK. I bet there were people like that on the Titanic, just after it hit the iceberg.

If you are one of those who believe that capitalism is the solution for every problem, and should never be criticized, then just keep telling yourself that when
    you can boil water on the sidewalk. Remember, that for capitalism, the only thing that matters, is profit. If no one stopped them and they profited, true
    capitalists would sell children candy filled with cyanide.

At the same time that computers are increasingly inducing people to live in a world of fantasy, real life becomes increasingly difficult. A person can spend all
    of his time in a virtual (pretend) world, like children do. The problem is, that people do not have virtual bodies. Their bodies are made of physical cells,
    which are subject to physical laws. Those bodies need to continually breathe, drink, and eat, or they cease functioning permanently. But, why should we worry,
    we're going to die anyway, right? The same for our children, yes? Just reassure them, "Ignore what is happening outside, keep staring deeply into the computer
    screen. Don't be afraid, do you think I would have brought you into this world, if I could not insure that you will have a long, safe, secure, and happy life?
    And, even if you don't, look at the amazingly cool videos you can create today!".

Before long, you may be able to get a computer with a zetta-hertz processor, and zetta-bytes of RAM. But, let me know when you can write a program to make the
    atmosphere cooler, or to produce water to drink, food to eat, or, space to live.

(Otherwise, everything is going along good.)

Dan
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

[font=courier new][size=8pt]http://www.truth-out.org/our-weird-and-wanton-wars62697

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by danbaron
    [font=courier new][size=8pt]http://www.truth-out.org/our-weird-and-wanton-wars62697

Good article. Doesn't mention the UK's desperate bid to be a faithful supporter of the USA - which endeavour often seems to lead Britain into wars.

Lance