Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: thinBasic 2.x direction

Re: thinBasic 2.x direction

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski
    Please be open minded and and hear all possibilities.
    John ... JOHN

it is exactly one of the purpose of this thread: "open minded and hear all possibilities".
    Instead, with your post you are jumping to the conclusion

Maybe what you suggest will be the choice (if there will be a choice) but not now.
    Now it is time of "open minded and hear all possibilities" but this will not stop going on of thinBasic project.
    There is no need to stop all. While I will go on (this is a live project still full of passion from my side) we can discuss about possible futures (multi tasks, multi threaded mind ).

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

How can you say your open minded when you have already made up your mind?

Why not take what you learned building thinBASIC with PB and share that knowledge as a mentor and let your friends help you build 2.0 in an open source environment?

I don't see much difference upgrading from 1.x to 2.x with the SMF forum and upgrading thinBASIC to 9.x of PB. Not much gain even if there is little pain.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski
    How can you say your open minded when you have already made up your mind?
    You are making a mistake, maybe because you do not follow our discussions here too much frequently.

We are moving to thinBasic version 2.x to stop support for Windows 9x (not PB 9x) and Windows 2K OSs
    This will open the possibility to use API and libraries only available on Windows XP or above.
    This move has already been declared and discussed many months ago with those developing thinBasic module and they were still waiting for this to happen. Now we are just put it in practice.
    STOP. This it is simple, isn't it?

The rest will come maybe thanks to this discussion.
    There is no decision for future and in any case whatever decision will be taken it will require time to put in practice.
    What do you want thinBasic would be in the meantime? A dead project? A stopped project? A project in the "limbo" waiting for a decision? A project waiting the programmers understand a new development environment?

No! Nothing of the above.
    I will continue to develop thinBasic as much as I can to give thinBasic users the best feature I can and/or they ask for and at the same time, take a decision, understand what is needed to be understood and hopefully having something new to work with after all those effort.
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Sorry, the way you present the 2.0 story is your looking for ideas and direction. You then followed up with the statement that PB will continue to be the foundation of thinBASIC.

So, what is this thread about anyways? It's hard enough finding resources to help out with projects and no one likes doing things twice or in parallel.

When you're ready to talk about a more open and broader coverage direction, I'll be happy to contribute.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

From my point of view best option is stay with Power Basic.

I am going to post this since I made the example before reading the current posts for today.
    Here is a little sample code I put together to show the power of c++ and handling string conversions from numbers to strings.
    This example although short shows a lot of the power of c++ with macros and function overloading. Hope it helps others
    that are thinking about platforms and languages.
    //Headers
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include "boost/lexical_cast.hpp"

//Macros
    // create my own Str$() with a Macro
    #define s$(x) str(x)
    // create my own Print command with a macro
    #define print(x, y) cout<< x << y << endl
    // print a carriage return line feed
    #define crlf$ cout << endl;

using namespace std;
    //overloaded function declarations
    string str(float value);
    string str(double value);
    string str(int value);
    string str(long value);

//Main function
    int main()
    {
     cout << s$(12.35f) << " float" << endl;
     cout << s$(12.35) << " double" << endl;
     cout << s$(1235) << " int" << endl;
     cout << s$(1235) << " long" << endl;
     crlf$;
     print(s$(12.45f)," float");
     print(s$(12.45)," double");
     print(s$(1245)," int");
     print(s$(1245)," long");
    }
    //Function implementations with overloads
    string str(float value)
    {
      return boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(value);
    }
    string str(double value)
    {
    }
    string str(int value)
    {
    }
    string str(long value)
    {
    }

I will attach a screenshot of the results of the output and the code in code::blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess there was some misunderstanding... I too like John thought this was more of an open discussion. At least that is what it read like in the original post. Today's post point to what we had talked about on google wave earlier, that is PB as foundation language, windows only... as you know I think this is a dead end in the long run and puts off moving in a big way to a long bright future on another foundation. But this is not my language and not my project, so I respect the decisions you make Eros. It is your time and hard work that goes into it and you obviously should work in a way that makes you happy.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Ok, maybe it is me that I'm not enough clear or my bad English.

This is an open discussion to collect and exchange ideas.

In the meantime thinBasic project has to continue its standard life. And its natural continuation is to do what we talked about many time: release a last (possibly) bug free 1.x version that supports Win9x systems and start version 2.x compatible only with Win XP or above.

I suppose you all will agree with me that I cannot stop the project only because we are discussing about possible futures. Talking about possible futures will take some time (some weeks). Making tests on whatever other direction will take some months. Having something working prototype would take many months.
    Do I have to stop all in the meantime? No, of course.
    Maybe someone would be happy to see this project abandoned or stopped for months but this is not going to happen

Is this something too complex to get?
    Did I expressed my point in so bad English?
    Will my point of view stop about the possibility to freely talk about anything else? I hope not.

Eros,

I don't have a problem how you have expressed yourself and I think I understand you pretty well. I think it's their expectations or wishes that might have blocked people them from reading what you wrote correctly or like one did, digging up old war fields.

Kent wants a compiled thinbasic .net. John wants us to use script basic. And I want a money shitting donkey So what.

Seriously, thinbasic will enhance in one way or another. I think it is great that Eros lets us state our wishes. Changes won't happen over night and have to be planned for a long time.
    They might come true, they might not. thinbasic is still an awesome interpeter language with features you don't see elsewhere.

Anyway and another seriously thought... before you add more different stuff to thinbasic, you should really think about if you want to go cross platform. If not, then stay with your current compiler you use. You know it, you like it, point blank. If you want to go cross platform, I would work on it as soon as thinbasic hits 1.9. The more you add to tb, the less you will ever start porting it to a different language/platform. Imho, that would be the first choice to make. Personally... I would not do it. I can only imagine the amount of work and my neck hurts. Plus when I see how many users we have, I doubt it is really worth it.

Here is another wish for thinbasic:

An official uptodate and supported SDK for a free C/C++ language. I seem to be to stupid to create an import lib for Dev C++ or MingW and so would be very happy to see this one day.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.