Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asimo's Learning Capabilities

Asimo's Learning Capabilities

Re: Asimo's Learning Capabilities

Thanks Charles,

that was great!
    I like how he moves during learning, it looks very natural.

Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

More of Asimo's talents: Avoiding mobile obstacles.

thinBasic MVPs

I remember seeing this when it was first shown on tv and I was very impressed but I would like to have seen results if the table was cover with a cloth.

@Petr It had movements that seem to mimic a child and the Honda guy did talk about child developement.

How does your robot compare?
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

I must admit it will take some time before our robots will match ASIMO DIM some time AS YEARS.

The oldest still in service, Bender 2, is 4 wheeled robot mostly designed to verify various principles in indoor and outdoor localization. It is also able to avoid dynamic obstacles. It does not predict their movement like ASIMO, on the other side it does not require any camera on top of room, he can decide just on sensors it has on the body.

The other 2, Leela and Bender 3 take more human shape, and are designed to be guides or advertisement "spammers" .
    I think for practical purposes, the 2 legged configuration is very difficult, even the observations of robotic soccer confirmed this. So even these 2 are wheel based (Leela 2 big + 1 litte, B3 4 wheels). There are algorithms developed for face detection, but not for specific objects. Users can interact with the mentioned robots via touch display on the chest. They can randomly walk in space determined by beacons (no robot will leave your house ) or they can follow precise pattern.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

[font=courier new][size=8pt]Apparently, technology marches unstoppably forward.

It seems robots will continue becoming smarter, both individually and
    cooperatively, into the foreseeable future.

Some possible hazards come to my mind -

1)
    They replace most human labor, before economic systems adjust to this fact.

2)
    They replace human police, soldiers, and guards.
    a)
    What chance would a human have versus a robot?
    b)
    What chance would a human have versus an army of nano-robots, or an air force
    of flying "insect" robots?
    c)
    Imagine how much damage one individual could do if he controlled an army of a
    million warrior robots. Especially if the army knew no fear, possessed instantaneous
    inter-communication, and cooperated like a super-intelligent swarm of bees.

3)
    They become sufficiently conscious, such that, they develop emotions, and then
    their primary motivation becomes survival.

-------------------

I think that, the more powerful a technology is, the more potential it has, for
    both good and bad.

And, does it seem that, new technology keeps moving farther and farther ahead of
    humanity's ability to prevent its misuse?

Unfortunately, history shows that the military will pounce upon every new
    technology.

(Hopefully, my pessimistic outlook will never materialize. I hold no grudge
    against your "good" robots. (Only extinction can stop human creativity, or the
    human imagination.))

Dan
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Dan,

you are right, as all human inventions, even robots can be misused. They are already in use by many armies of the world. It isn't much discussed in public. We wouldn't like to work on killing machine, so we are working on servant like models. With their low speed (1 to 2m/s at max), they should not pose much danger to environment, even in case of hijack, but you never know how creative the villains can become.

Petr

[font=courier new][size=8pt](None of what follows is directed against anyone here. - Dan)

In my opinion, every person in the world with what I would call a military (maybe, authoritarian) temperament or disposition, thinks similarly. They think in
    one of two ways. Either, they are concerned only with gaining any advantage they can over their perceived enemies, whom they never run out of. Or, they think
    that if they don't use the latest technology against their enemies, then their enemies will use it against them - and ironically, they are correct, because
    their enemies are exactly like them (mirror images). A person like this born in country X, will be certain that, the enemy, say, country Y, wants to destroy
    country X. But (and the person never realizes this), if he had instead been born in country Y, then he would be just as certain, that country X wanted to
    destroy country Y. The result is that the world keeps becoming more and more dangerous. The power of human annihilation becomes concentrated in the hands of
    just a few individuals. Imagine, that it becomes possible to build a bomb that would explode Earth, that would scatter pieces of it throughout the solar system.
    I think that both countries X and Y would build it, and each would claim that the other forced it to do so. Especially now, with looming energy shortages, and
    climate change, I think the potential for destruction on an unbelievable scale, continues to grow. That is the world we live in, in my opinion. A small group of
    powerful selfish greedy fearful people, stands in the shadows, insulated from the consequences of its actions, orchestrates wars, and gets millions (or maybe
    billions) of other people killed, for its own benefit and/or because of its paranoid convictions. And, when this minority is not orchestrating wars, it is
    hoarding more wealth and resources than it could ever use, while billions of people have close to nothing.

Think about what international arms dealers do. When two countries go to war, that is Heaven for them. Of course, they want to maximize their profit. Therefore,
    it is best if they sell arms to both sides. And, the more even the war is, and the longer it goes, the better. Ideally, the last two remaining people, one from
    each side, will simultaneously kill each other. By then, all of the weapon money is in the bank, no law has been broken, and for these dealers, morality, if any
    exists, is not more than the law. And, of course, for them, the highest ideal, far above the law, is unfettered capitalism, whatever its future consequences
    are. Let the future worry about the future, yes?

Also, I think the bad guys will cynically use smart university students for their own purposes. They pour money into university research. The students like
    science, and want to create something good. The students like to compete with each other for fun, in their areas of research. The technology in a particular
    area continues to advance. But, usually, those with money, will only fund research if they perceive that it will help them in some way. For the military, that
    means weapons and surveillance systems. For private industry, it means profit, and in the case of robots, the elimination of human jobs. For the monied
    interests, talented students are cheap labor. After they have done all of the work in an effort to make something good, the hidden powerful will take what they
    have done, and twist it into something bad. Actually, these days, it can be dangerous for a researcher to know too much. Once that certain people somehow gain
    access to his knowledge, they may want to prevent the possibility of anyone else accessing it. Dead researchers don't talk, right? Amazingly, sometimes being
    too smart, can get you killed!

It seems that always (past, present, and probably in the future), a tiny minority, the dark side of humanity, wearing a public mask of civility, acquires all of
    the power, and exerts it from behind the scenes; resulting in misery and death for the vast majority, who mean harm to no one. When this minority removes its
    mask in private, the face of the barbarian is revealed.

(As far as robots go, Petr, I like them too, who doesn't?)
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Hi Dan,

Some of us have already seen this video, but it reflects many of the issues you have raised.

P.W. Singer: Military robots and the future of war

[font=courier new][size=8pt]Hi Charles.

Now I have to admit something that I don't want to admit.

I live pretty far out from civilization.

The result is that, right now, I only have a 56k modem connection.

I have tried watching videos previously, and it takes forever, even for just a video of one minute.

I never see any of the videos that you recommend, although I would like to.

I feel jealous of all of you.

Hopefully, this situation will not go on forever.

Dan

(Now I am looking at the comments associated with the video you just recommended. It's sickening. The extremes of the spectrum of human morality, are almost unbelievable to me.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast