Thread: Slow program start if bundled

Slow program start if bundled

Hi,

Didn't see this problem mentioned yet in the forum:
    when I bundle some program and then launch it from the bundle, it takes a second or two, before the program is up & running (Laptop Core 2 Duo 2,66Ghz).
    While unbundled programs startup immediately.
    Is there anything I can tune when creating a bundle? I guess compression and obfuscated source add to the slow startup.

Thanks,
    Oli

Re: Slow program start if bundled

Hi,

I experience the same "thanks" to NOD32 antivirus, which keeps an eye on debundling too closely it hogs CPU up to 99%.
    When you execute bundle exe, it first extracs the bundled files to disk as hidden, and the launches the script.

When I have AVG antivirus, the start was fast. Do you have NOD32 by any chance?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr,

you're right again
    NOD32 is installed, it's the office notebook so no chance to exchange for another antivirus
    Ok, at least when the program is started on another PC without NOD32 it will probably launch faster.

Thanks again!

Oli

Yes,

without NOD it was faster.
    But at least we know NO32 cares about us and tries to do its job

Some of the ThinBASIC modules use concept of having built in DLL in memory, this approach would eliminate the need to extract to disk.

But it would also mean major rewrite of the bundler; I am sure Eros is looking into this.
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Petr,

only the DLL doesn't have to extracted extra. The bundled module still has to be extracted.

What you could do is to only bundle the scripts, but ship the modules unbundled in the same directory as the bundled exe. This way it should start faster, or?

Hi Mike,

yes. I wanted to say, that if the modules would be packed in resource the same way as auxiliary DLLs are in modules now, there would be no need for disk extraction in the debundler.

Leave the DLL external is very good suggestion for now.

thinBasic MVPs

Ive had this with McAfee, norton, avg, avast and they all suffer from the same problem its the dll's they are upx'd, what I do now is unpack all the dll's that are in the thinbasic folders.

When they are bundled the file size is slightly bigger but its time to run is quicker.

just edit the bat file to the correct path to thinbasic and it will do the job for you, make sure upx.exe is in the same folder as the bat file.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

That is a nice tip. Thanks Michael

Thanks Michael, this really helps - bundles launch much quicker.
    The bundle itself is also upx packed - I tried to unpack it too but I didn't see any difference in launch time.

Oli