Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to programming and thinbasic

New to programming and thinbasic

hi i am learning programming and my instructor is using thinbasic.

i have installed thinbasic. i go file ---> new and what else do i do??

Re: New to programming and thinbasic

The best thing to do is look in your installation folder for thinBasic for a sample script directory. On my computer using the thinBasic default settings this would be in: C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts

Within the SampleScripts folder look for an area of interest to start with and open up the script with thinAir to see the code. Then from thinAir you can run the program. If you just want to run the program, just double click on the example and it will run without opening up in thinAir.

thinBasic can write console(DOS screen looking applications). Windows GUI applications and with tbgl, OpenGL applications.

This should give you a good start.

I am very happy that your instructor is using thinBasic, a great choice!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

thinBasic MVPs

Quote Originally Posted by goraw55
    hi i am learning programming and my instructor is using thinbasic.
    Welcome to TB and I hope you enjoy using it, you said your instructor is using TB, I am( and so will Eros) interested where you are learning programming.

Any questions please ask, dont struggle there are lots of people here that like to help.

Mike
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Welcome to the forums!,

I am also surprised (but pleasantly) by hearing your teacher picked thinBASIC.

The good way to learn is to examine sampleScripts as Kent suggested.

Then you should have a look at the help files - you can reach them from ThinAIR, under Help menu.

Another option is to have a look at ThinBASIC Journal:
    Issue 1
    Issue 2

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Of course, I'm very curious too about this post.
    Please tell your instructor that we will be happy to help, if needed.

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

i have written a hello world program and i'm a bit confused with the publishing process. .....bundling is i think what it's called?.... can someone tell me steps involved in that?

hi goraw.

.....bundling is i think what it's called?.... can someone tell me steps involved in that?
    1) here a script example for you:

[code=thinbasic]' Empty ThinBASIC CONSOLE file template

uses "console"

printl "hello test program"

msgbox 0, "1) hello my little unknown thinbasic world"

msgbox 0, "2) good to know who you are and can you introduce yourself? ", %MB_Iconinformation, "my hello program"

printl "end: hello test program, push any key"

waitkey

' end
    [/code]

you can save it with "myhello.tbasic" program.

2) after you have saved the myhello script go to TOOLS\BUNDLE (new popup window opens called THINBASIC BUNDLE BUILDER) and push the MAKE button downside. Don't change anything, push only MAKE button. So you get a new Bundle.exe script with your hello program. You may find this new "myHello.exe" to your save path for example:
    C:\thinBasic1790\SampleScripts.

pictures below.

ask if you don't know what I am meaning with my explanations and perhaps show your script here at the forum so we can help you with detailed informations and prompted reply.

best regards, Frank

(ps: I hope you are not a spam user, but a real person who's like to learn thinbasic programming language. Here are working very engaged people at this thinbasic forum, so take care for it ! I wish to know what your instructor has built for nice things with thinbasic ? I suppose it's a joke )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I think Franck described it pretty well. As I don't want to trash my effort, here is a little SWF file, that shows the process of creating a bundle visually. Unzip it and klick on the .HTM file.

Attention: In the latest thinAIR version, the menu entry to bundle a script is in the SCRIPT menu!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by goraw55
    i have written a hello world program and i'm a bit confused with the publishing process. .....bundling is i think what it's called?
    goraw55,

just few additional notes because Frank am Michael have already given precise info.

thinBasic is an interpreted programming language. Like other interpreted programming languages (just to list some: vbscript, php, python, ruby, ...) you need to have the programming language itself installed in your computer in order to execute a script source code. So to be able to distribute you source scripts to others, they must have thinBasic installed otherwise they will not be able to execute your script.

But, because we know that many times programmers do not want to distribute their applications in form of source code we have created other 2 possibilities: obfuscation and bundling.

Obfuscation_________________________________________________
    Obfuscation is the process to transform your script into something others will not be able to recognize. Your source code script will be encrypted and compressed in such a way that only thinBasic will be able to read back again in order to be executed. Obfuscated scripts have extension .tbasicx or .tbasiccx

Limitations on obfuscation:
    • you still need thinBasic installed in order to execute your obfuscated script
    • obfuscated scripts are only compatible with the same thinBasic version used to obfuscated them. So if you obfuscated with thinBasic version 1.7.10 you can execute them only with the same version. We are working on eliminating this but at the moment it is so

Bundling_________________________________________________
    Bundling is the process to transform your script into a special kind of executable program that we call Bundled EXE.

We have decided to call Bundled EXE in order to be clear on what it is: it is an executable more or less like a self extracting ZIP file. The executable will contain all the exe, dlls, modules needed to execute your script without the need to have thinBasic installed. Your source code thinBasic program will be included in obfuscated form in order to protect it. The Bundled EXE can even contains additional files (whatever kind) the programmer needs to release with it.

When a Bundled EXE is executed, it first explodes all included files on disk as system + hidden files.
    Than your obfuscated thinBasic source code program is executed without the need to have thinBasic installed in computer because all needed files will be already on disk.
    When application ends, all exploded files are removed from disk.

Limitations on Bundled EXE:
    • files are exploded on disk (many consider this a limitation)

Hope I was enough clear.
    Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

very helpful, thanks guys. i'm sure i will have lots more questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast