Thread: TAB Alpha Version 52

TAB Alpha Version 52

Hello,

Today released new Alpha 52. Here is latest history of versions to bring up to date.
    Thanks to Petr for testing latest fix.

http://tab.thinbasic.com/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ALPHA Version History Change Log
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    12 Oct 2009 (Release 52)
    =========
    *NEW. Character Announcement Text, Character Name Text, Object Text Description and ALL System Message Texts (except Statusbar pane messages) can now contain random elements using the familiar "%r%" tag. These will work irrespective of the state of "objlistoff", "charlistoff" or "invlistoff" variables.

eg: Character 1 RANDOM announcement text:
    "Joseph the farmer is here.%r%Farmer Joseph stands near you.%r%Joseph, a friendly farmer, is beside you."

eg: Character 1 RANDOM name text:
    "Joseph the farmer%r%Farmer Joseph%r%The farmer named Joseph%r%Joseph"

eg: Object Text RANDOM description:
    "a knife.%r%a sharp knife.%r%a knife. (looks like a penknife)%r%A knife. Slightly bloodstained."

eg: Random System Message 1:
    "You now have the %r%You take the %r%You pick up the %r%You %vsyn% the "

**NOTE** The "objlistoff" ACTION command forces TAB to concatenate object listing in room descriptions and is similar to action "invlistoff". If choosing the "objlistoff" option then as stated earlier in this alpha history all object text descriptions should begin with a lower case letter and should not terminate with a period. (full stop)
    eg: "a brown satchel" is OK. "A brown satchel." is not OK for this type of object listing output.

Example code required in Script 1:

' enable concatenated object listing...

[start]flag20=0[acts]flag20=1#objlistoff[end]

Example output:

"Also visible is a torch, a spanner, some food and a computer."

You may need to adjust System Message 40. You can use %r% (random) message tags in System Message 40: "Also Visible: " eg:

"Also visible is %r%I can also see %r%Notable objects present include "

"Crystal_Keepers.tab" game has been set to use this format.

Remember to preserve the correct spacing required if randomizing System Messages.

09 Oct 2009 (Release 51.5)
    =========
    *FIX. Editor wasn't allowing use of Main Menu buttons when a database loaded for first time. (Thanks to Frank Fridd)

08 Oct 2009 (Release 51.4)
    =========
    *FIX. TAB now ensures that multiple objects with same noun name are ignored and not just the first occurrence of such an object noun in the Object List when a valid input phrase containing an "all except/everything but" is entered.

eg:

Object Noun 5 = /lamp/ (unlit lamp)
    Object Noun 12 = /lamp/ (lit lamp)

>get all but the lamp

In such a situation it was possible for "getall" to wrongly take the "lit lamp" if it existed in the game.
    I uncovered this anomaly while playing "character_demo.tab"

06 Oct 2009 (Release 51.3)
    =========
    *FIX. Static Objects can now be unset in the Object Editor (Thanks to Gareth)

01 Oct 2009 (Release 51.2)
    =========
    *FIX. Coding error related to last release. Fixed

30 Sep 2009 (Release 51.1)
    =========
    *FIX. TAB now calls Script1 after a location which is set to DARK is described via System Message 78: "It's Dark. You can't see anything." (Thanks to Gareth for reporting)

26 Sep 2009 (Release 51)
    =========
    *FIX. Graphics now using listview control to correct pictures not centred properly in graphic display mode.

Regards,
    catventure.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

Re: TAB Alpha Version 52

Nice!,

I hope all these new possibilities will motivate more users to create new TAB games!

Little suggestion - I like the editor picture with TAB key, but maybe you could take new photo an pick less brutal compression. It will look more clean and "pro" that way. Of course it is just a detail.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Schreiber
    Little suggestion - I like the editor picture with TAB key, but maybe you could take new photo an pick less brutal compression. It will look more clean and "pro" that way. Of course it is just a detail.
    Hi Petr,
    Thanks for suggestion. Good idea. I'd been meaning to change it anyway.
    I'll see what I can come up with. Something different perhaps?

catventure. (Phil)

PS. Sorry the program was unavailable earlier. It is now up on the site.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

Hi Petr,

I kept the TAB "jigsaw" graphic but as promised I've made it so the Editor now starts by loading one of a series of RANDOM "fantasy clipart" pics instead - less boring and hopefully inspiring to the adventure/fantasy story author...

Best wishes,
    catventure.

Interesting idea,

I like it
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB