Thread: ThinEdge Question

ThinEdge Question

Hello again,

Probably dont have this posted in the right area again, but here goes. I have been playing within thin edge recently and am enjoying it thoroughly I am in the process of writing an underwater simulator, and now would like to work on the scenery. fortunately there isnt a whole lot of vertical, however I do need to do the terrain. going just off of what little I know of the program it seems like it would take a very long time to do a terrain, can anyone (if one does not exist) write a tutorial on making terrains in thinedge? I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: ThinEdge Question

Hi,

you really tried ThinEdge? I am happy to hear that, but I must warn you it is quite old program of mine, and maybe it is better to use really "pro" tools like Blender.

Which version do you use? Is it 1.0.0.6 Preview?

I will prepair a tutorial for you, as making terrain in ThinEdge is relatively easier to do than in Blender.
    But for more complex models I really recommend the alternatives.

Stay tuned, I will post the tutorial here.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Here is the tutorial,

I hope it will serve you well.
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

as always on the ball and very helpful!! I appreciate all your help with this. I am actually using version 1.0.0.5 Stable. are there alot of changes between that and x.6? I like Thin Edge because of how easy it is to use. I have blender and have tried using it many times, even going through the tutorials, but there are so many settings and small things that need to be changed just to get it work, its too much for me at the moment lol. I havent checked but do you have any converters for google sketchup by chance? anyways thank you very much for the tutorial and again all your help.

Thanks for you kind words!

ThinEdge 1.0.0.6 preview contains some fixes and it is the latest released version, so I better recommend it over 1.0.0.5.
    You can try it - as usually, no install requirement, so you just extract it to other directory and you can watch if it fits you better.

I also use it from time to time, but if you need really pro modeller, Blender or Wings3D (much simpler) are my recommendations.

Google Sketchup ... you can use any modeler producing OBJ files with ThinBASIC/TBGL. There is batch converter to m15 available here. Tested with ZBrush/Blender/Wings3D/Rhino3D.

From Google Sketchup info page:
    The OBJ file format is a standard way to exchange 3D objects between modeling, rendering, and animation applications such as Maya. With this plugin, SketchUp users can export models directly to the OBJ format as polygonal geometry with materials and texture mapping information intact. Note: the OBJ plug-in is not needed for SketchUp 5.x as this exporter is included in the SketchUp 5 install.Updated documentation for the 4.x version is available. Click here to view the OBJ Exporter documentation.
    The mentioned conversion tool avoids troubles with different OBJ implementations, and produces M15 file you will always be able to load. No nuances, no variations