Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vector Graphics

Vector Graphics

Hi tB users,

Is it possible to draw vector graphics with OpenGL. By that, I mean graphic primitives like simple lines, rectangles, ellipses, circles etc.
    onto a 3D surface. (2D primitives on top of a 3D surface) I don't know much about OpenGL capabilities. So before I scour the docs, I was hoping to get a quick answer. Perhaps one has to use windows GDI. If so, can the GDI be drawn on top of a OpenGL surface.? Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

May all your thinBasic endeavors be successful.
    Contempt Prior to Investigation = Everlasting Ignorance

Re: Vector Graphics

Hi Pipes,

Kent Sarikaya's Tank Wars Game is rich in TBGL Line Graphics and several other goodies.

http://community.thinbasic.com/index.php?topic=1798

Charles

TBGL supports some 2D primitives. Rect, circle, line. Let me know if that's what you need.

Pipes,

to have the latest 2D primitive developed by Michael Hartlef and Petr Schreiber be sure to install one of the latest thinBasic beta versions. You can download them from http://community.thinbasic.com/index.php?board=176.0
    They recently did a great development stage in the 2D world.

Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Michael,

TBGL supports some 2D primitives. Rect, circle, line. Let me know if that's what you need.
    Are these 3D objects or 2D primitives? By 3D objects, I mean polygons that have been created in 3D space then colored or textured.
    I want to create an image, (bmp,jpg,png etc.) draw lines, rectangles, circles etc. to it, then overlay it on a 3D scene. Much like Blitz3D if you are familiar with that language. I'm not sure TBGL or OpenGL will do that. I think with the allegro graphics library that can be used with OpenGL doesn't exactly accomplish that task either. At least not without jumping through some hoops. So I'm not sure if it can be done in OpenGL or TBGL. Presently, I'm in information overload. Simple answers just don't compute in the information age. Documentation can be overwhelming in any library or programming language. Does not compute... Does not compute... Does not compute... Does not compute... Does not compute... Warning info overload... Does not compute... Does not compute... Warning out of memory....

Sorry I got stuck in a recursion descent.

Thanks

Hi Pipes,

once you get out of that recursion - yes, you can render in 3D and 2D mode and combine it to one image.
    What is your planned project about?
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr,

What is your planned project about?
    All righty then... Forever and a day I've been working on a Game users interface for Blitz3D (Well okay that's a bit dramatic). Off and on for quite awhile, I've been working on a Game user interface for Blitz3D. Complete with all the normal user controls one would find in a windows environment (not to be confused with actual windows controls but essentially acts like windows) and then some. Included are scrollable or non-scrollable type image thumbnails much like an inventory system in an RPG but user designated. User designated window skins, borders, headers and footers etc.
    In my opinion Blitz3D is fading in the sunset stuck in old technology like directX7 with no changes coming in the future. Most users have switched to BlitzMax. That's another subject sore entirely. I thought about changing the GUI to thinBasic to be used with TGBL to share with the community. I know you can use windows controls with TGBL, but windows controls look like application controls not game controls. I've worked too long on the project just to let it fade in the sunset. Many of the procedures and functions would easily port to thinBasic so I'm exploring other avenues. (By now you're probably sorry you asked. ) That about sums it up.

May all your thinBasic endeavors be successful,

Pipes

What, did I gear GUI?? Is my dream comming true? Let me know what you need and I will try to help whatever you need. You were asking about if the 2D primitives are 3D or 2D. OpenGL is all 3D, for these 2D functionalities liek the primitives or the sprites, you switch to a different coordinate system and make it a orthographic viev. 2D and 3D can be easily mixed. It is just a matter of state changing.

Man, I would love to have a skinnable gui system for TBGL.

Btw. I didn't know you were a blitzer. How small the world is. TBGL entity system was motivated by the Blitz entity system.

Hi Pipes,

that sounds interesting, do you have any screenshots?!
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Michael,

Yes, I'm a blitzer for many years. I still like it but I think that boat is sailing away. Do you still use it? It's hard to give it up. My passion has always been game programming. I think game programmers should be writing games not designing a user interface. However, blitz was sadly lacking in that area for my taste. So I re-invented the wheel. Now, I'm really into it.

Petr, here are a couple of screens from blitz. Keep in mind this is not a finished product nor are all the features shown but it's a start.

May all your thinBasic endeavors be successful...

Pipes

[img][/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast